Monday, February 13, 2012

Underground Comics

This week I read Robert Crumb's Whiteman, Heroes of the Blues, Fat Freddy's Cat by Gilbert Shelton and I read about half of Gay Comix.  I had know idea what to expect with underground comics and I soon found out.  The readings were littered with sexual content which was interesting, it was used as humor and also helped to discuss feelings the characters were feeling.

Whiteman was the first comic that I read and at first seemed like a regular comic but soon turned into a XXX love affair with a female Bigfoot.  I enjoyed the comic all in all and I thought it was really funny at times it just was not what I expected.

I also read the Heroes of the Blues which was really cool piece consisting of short bio's of Legends in the Blues genre.  I a, a big fan of the Blues and I had a good time flipping through looking for names and the illustrations that were created of the influential men who made the genre what it is.  The art in Robert Crumb's work is really interesting and it has an awesome gritty quality to it that I really enjoyed and was consistent throughout what I saw of his work.

I found Fat Freddy's Cat to be hilarious.  My favorite was the comic about him working as an agent for the government and just recklessly killing everyone.  He was do full of shit telling the kittens this story I could help but laugh my ass off.  I love rich characters like that who are bullshitters and do things with their with motives no one else knows about.

The last reading I read Gay Comics was really a neat piece that gives insight into people who have tried to deal with being "different" in society.  While reading this piece it felt so honest and had such a variety in it's stories that all of them really were their own individual stories and experiences.  I enjoy stories that leave nothing out and feel raw and personal and this collection of experiences was full of those stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment