Thursday, April 19, 2012

Super hero comics

This last week I read Batman Year One but I really wanted to talk about some other I have recently read as well such as Arkam Asylam, The Dark Knight Returns and The Long Halloween. I've always been a his use fan of Batman and being so new to comics Btman was naturally where I started and I have found a new love within these narratives.

Since I didn't know where to start I did some research of the top 25 Batman graphic narratives and pretty much just start there. I started with The Dark knight returns and I was blown away. The psychological element Frank Miller pulls off is something that's influenced comics for the last 20 years was completely new to me and I really couldn't put it down. The grtitty dark qualities are seen in almost every other Batman comic I've since and for a good reason. The emotional impact it has on the reader was very successful and kept it really exciting to read.

Year One was another one I just flew through. It had many of the same qualities as The Dark Knight Returns that made it so appealing for myself. The internal struggle within Jim Gordan and Bruce Wayne was amazing and the way it found a way it survive without relying on any super popular villains such as the Joker is something I really enjoyed.

Arkam Asylam was a book in it's own league. It was truly a work of art and is something I will never forget. I read it quite a long time ago and what's interesting is I barely remember the story line but I vividly remember the art work and paneling. Each page was just as good if not better than the last and for that reason it took me a very long time to get through it since I was so consumed by the art. I can't imagine a better visual of inside Arkam Asylam which was always a consistent element within Batman and Gotham city and it was depicted as terrifying as I could imagine.

The Long Halloween was a a good solid story with equally solid art work. It didn't stand out naturally after reading the other narratives I have listed above but I enjoyed it very much. I read it on my I pad and the colors and layout translated very well and I enjoyed it very much.

Recently I decided I need to branch out to some other works about different character in an attempt not to pigeon hole myself and grow. I decided to read Watchmen.....wow. I can honestly say I've never read anything like this and I cannot wait to continue it. The atmosphere and the the dialogue are so dark and intense and they play off of each other wonderfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment